Dette program tilbydes i samarbejde med AFS i Australien og nedenfor kan du læse deres beskrivelse af programmet:
In the field of Education, we have volunteer opportunities in Western Australia at Scitech or in Queensland at Patricks Road State School. Information on these exciting volunteer opportunities is below!
- What’s the organisation? Scitech is a hands-on science centre, founded in 1988 whose mission is to increase interest, participation, awareness and capability by all Western Australians in science, technology, engineering and mathematics (STEM). Scitech runs programs and exhibitions designed to engage the WA community into science and technology.
- What will the volunteer do? Scitech offers a unique experience in science communication, as well as working with children in a very positive and dynamic work environment. Volunteers will communicate about science with visitors and school students, running educational programs and helping with special events. Processing memberships and helping with a range of administration tasks. The volunteer might even be asked to join the Scitech ‘Road Show’, joining the team in travelling around Western Australia taking different exhibits to schools!
- What are the requirements? Good English and communication skills are highly desirable. Further eligibility requirements can be found under the ‘Requirements’ section below.
- Who will this suit? Must have a passion or at least an interest in science and technology.
- Location? Perth, Western Australia
- Duration? Applicants can apply to volunteer for a year or semester with Scitech
- More information: www.scitech.org.au
Patricks Road State School
- What’s the organisation? This is a school and their mission is to educate (academically and socially) students to become life long learners. The school was founded in 1977 and continues to be a school where excellence is achieved. We cater for students from Prep to Year 6 and provide a balanced education for all.
- What will the volunteer do? The volunteer will assist students both in and out of the classroom. They will support students in their learning, provide extra assistance when we have special events and support our administrative staff with office duties. Class learning groups (literacy and numeracy) are a key responsibility as is supporting teachers in preparing lessons. The volunteer will support our art teacher on Fridays, our library staff and may also be required to assist students with the learning and development of sporting activities each week.
- What are the requirements? Good English, communication skills and are desire to work with young children is preferred. Further eligibility requirements can be found under the ‘Requirements’ section below.
- Who will this suit? Having a positive, pleasant attitude and the ability to work well with children is imperative.
- Location? Brisbane, Queensland
- Duration? Applicants can apply to volunteer for a semester with Patricks Road
- More information: www.patrroadss.eq.edu.au
- What’s the organisation? Shenton College is a Public Co-educational public school. First opened in 2001, we educate students ages 11-18 years old who live in the Western suburbs of Perth. We run specialist Gifted and Talented classes and ranked in the Top 10 schools in WA in 2016.
- What will the volunteer do? The volunteer will mainly be working in the Languages Department. This office has a number of international workers who can speak a number of different languages. We usually arrive at school from 8am and start work at 9am. We have a 15 minute break for recess each morning and then a 30 minute lunch. We finish teaching at 3pm and usually leave the office at 3:30-4pm. Every Wednesday we attend a meeting from 3-4pm. On Friday afternoons, staff have the option of attending the “social club” where teachers get together over a drink. The volunteer would be asked to engage in meaningful conversation practice with the French students. They will be asked to oversee small group work in French and check that students’ work is correct and intelligible. They will be asked to impart knowledge about their life in France and French culture. They will also be asked to help with regards to creating resources such as photocopying, typing documents, proof reading documents and giving advice about French culture.
- What are the requirements? Applicants must be native French speakers. Applicants must be AT LEAST 20 years old. Good English and communication skills are highly desirable. The volunteer needs to have good communication skills and good interpersonal skills. It is desirable for them to be able to impart any knowledge of cultural activities that they complete in France. Further eligibility requirements can be found under the ‘Requirements’ section below.
- Who will this suit? Someone who enjoys teaching kids and is passionate about their own culture. Kindness, patience and a willingness to help out are a must.
- Location? Perth, Western Australia
- Duration? Applicants can apply to volunteer for a year or semester with Shenton College
- More information: http://www.shenton.wa.edu.au/
Paraburdoo Primary School
- What’s the organisation? Paraburdoo Primary School is a school catering for Kindergarten to Year 6 students in the Ashburton Shire of the Pilbara. It is the education hub of the town with a fluctuating enrolment of between 240 – 260 dependent on the strength of the mining industry and particularly the fortunes of the major employer in town, Rio Tinto. Paraburdoo provides a learning environment where students are communicating, collaborating, creating and critically thinking. They also foster a model of distributive leaderships where staff are encouraged to have a go, take risks, try new ideas and lead different areas of expertise. Paraburdoo P.S. staff continue to commit to a vision of progressive, creative learning, where all students are nurtured and inspired to engineer tomorrow today. The school is 45 years old.
- What will the volunteer do? Paraburdoo offers a unique chance to learn about outback Australia whilst gaining satisfaction in helping students improve their French skills and development. Volunteers will be working with the students to improve oral language and written skills in French and English as well as designing and making resources for French and other curriculum areas.
- What are the requirements? For fluent French speakers only. Must have an ability to work well with children whilst showing patience, flexibility, creativity, teamwork, energy, and being a team player. Must have a basic understanding of how children develop and learn.
- Who will this suit? A French speaker who has an interest in child development and education. Someone who is flexible and keen to experience outback Australia. Must be open to new experiences and be prepared for very hot weather (38°C and hotter).
- Location? Paraburdoo, Western Australia
- Duration? Applicants can apply to volunteer for a semester with Paraburdoo
- More information: http://www.paraburdooprimaryschool.wa.edu.au/index.php