Dette projekt tilbydes i samarbejde med organisationen GVI og nedenfor kan du læse deres beskrivelse af projektet:
Discover the rainforests of Costa Rica and assist in the protection of the elusive and endangered Jaguar. Conduct surveys and set up remote cameras, gathering data for use in a long-term wildlife conservation effort along Central America’s Caribbean coast. Develop new skills and an in-depth understanding of the rainforest and its ecosystem on this unique tropical adventure.
Work in a relatively unique habitat where Jaguars prey on Turtles. There is also an incredibly high density of jaguars in a small area, with over 40 jaguars documented in the past 7 years in a 15 mile stretch of land, which is higher than almost anywhere else in the world in the wild.
- Depending on the time of year or phase, volunteers will also receive training in some of the other projects; this may include biodiversity assessment surveys; amphibian surveying or parts of the turtle project.
- You will be expected to participate in other surveys as well.
- For jag 4/6/8/10 weekers training schedule is likely to be more flexible and will be dependent on other factors (e.g. if there are any turtle 2 weekers). It will most likely follow the pattern of the Wildlife expedition volunteers.
- Jaguar feeding behavior and population studies; surveys will include a weekly 15 mile walk on the beach to monitor the levels of marine turtle predation. There is more activity during Turtle nesting season (March-October), but the program runs all year
- They use camera traps to identify individual jaguars present in the Jalova area and their feeding behaviors in relation to marine turtles – we have also helped publish a research paper on the Jaguars.
- We are also collecting Jaguar scats (faeces) for feeding and genetic studies.
- Volunteers will also take part in some of the other surveys carried out on base; this is dependent on the time of the year; but may include marine turtle, canal/shore bird, spider monkey or amphibian monitoring, or general biodiversity/incidental sighting surveys, but will have priority in the Jaguar surveys.
HER kan du læse mere om ansøgningsprocessen, din interkulturelle forberedelse, hvilke kompetencer du får, rejsebreve fra vores deltagere, aktuelle tilbud, hvordan du mixer dit eget program og meget mere.