Dette projekt tilbydes i samarbejde med organisationen FSL og nedenfor kan du læse deres beskrivelse af programmet:
For the past 15 years, the sea turtle population has been under threat from fishing and egg predation by local population. Three species of the protected sea turtles are nesting on India’s West coast and all of them are endangered species and increasing threats caused by humans could drive them to extinction.
With an effort to protect these endangered species, we are working along a 60 kilometre stretch of the beach in the south and north of Kundapur, Karnataka state. The work is focused on protection and conservation of sea turtle, by promoting awareness about the eco-system and addressing environmental related issues.
The following awareness activities will take place between October to January:
1. Interaction with the fisherman community, mural painting in the fisherman’s locality and joining beach cleaning campaign
2. Awareness sessions to school children through presentation, clay competition and drawing competition
During February and March, the participants will be involved in the following activities if the sea turtle nests are found.
a. Building hatcheries
b. Maintaining the hatcheries till the baby turtle is released in the ocean.
Kundapur, also known by the local name Kundapura, is a town situated near the beach, on the west coast of Karnataka state, and in close proximity to the Western Ghats – India’s prime zone for bio-diversity and known for its varied animal and plant species. Kundapura is a coastal town and taluk headquarters located at a distance of 38 Km from Udupi, in Karnataka. The name Kundapura originates from an ancient temple dedicated to Lord Kundeshwara located in the town which was built by Kundavarama, the Alupa ruler. Kundapura is also described as the town of the sun. The uniqueness of Kundapura town is that the town is surrounded by water on 3 sides. Towards the north lies the Panchagangavali River.Towards the east lies the Kalaghar River. Towards the west lie the Kodi back waters and the Arabian Sea, the south side is the only side as the main connecting land mass. Since Kundapura is a coastal town, the main attractions of this town are spectacular beaches. Apart from beaches Kundapura (the city as well as the taluk) houses the world famous temples. Kollur Mookambika Temple, Hattiangadi Siddhi Vinayaka Temple, Anegudde Vinayaka Temple are few popular temples located in Kundapura Taluk.
The Support System:
- Orientation: The program will commence with a week-long orientation, on the 1st Monday of each month, which will prepare you for the rest of your stay in India. The on-arrival orientation will be held at Kundapur. Hence kindly ask the participant to book their arrival flight tickets to Mangalore Airport. The program schedule will be sent to you at least a month in advance.
- Cultural Event: Once a month, FSL-India organizes a cultural meet for all volunteers to discuss your progress, share your experiences and challenges encountered. It is a great opportunity to reconnect and use each other as a resource network to manage your projects. You will also have one-to-one on-site supervision by our FSL coordinators, to ensure that any challenges are tracked and dealt with, at the earliest.
- Monitoring: You will be allocated a coordinator from FSL-India on your arrival in India. The coordinator will support you in your project and monitor the progress during the voluntary service. Monthly project visits are also made by the FSL coordinators during the placement, whenever possible.
- Reporting system and documentation: You would need to call the coordinator on arrival at accommodation, to be followed by a 2nd week progress call and a 3rd week monitoring visit by the coordinator. You are expected to fill in the time sheet for adequate project activities and monthly report.
- Final evaluation: You are expected to complete and submit a Final Feedback report and Final Evaluation report at the end of your volunteering program. These reports should detail your work, progress, problems, solutions and suggestions. They will serve as valuable reference documents for new volunteers, and also enable FSL- India to develop and improve the project.
HER kan du læse mere om ansøgningsprocessen, din interkulturelle forberedelse, hvilke kompetencer du får, rejsebreve fra vores deltagere, aktuelle tilbud, hvordan du mixer dit eget program og meget mere.