Kassebølle Friskole is a 140-year-old “free school” with lots of traditions, which is located in the middle part of Langeland, fantastically placed in rural surroundings close to forest, beach, and the sea, and still only a few minutes’ drive from Rudkøbing on Langeland. Langeland is an island in the southern Funen archipelago of Denmark. It’s about 45 km long and has approximately 12,600 inhabitants.
Kassebølle Friskole has approximately 100 pupils from kindergarten class to 9th grade in the current school year. There are 8 teachers in the school.
There is also a nursery and kindergarten in the school since February 2020. There is space for up to 30 kids from 9 months to 6 years.
Kids from 0th to 5th grade can also go to the after-school day care where they are together with the kindergarten kids. There are different activities offered both inside and outside so that the pupils can relax after school.
At the school there is ample opportunity for physical activities as it is situated on a large plot with soccer field, campfire site, nature playground, sandboxes, swings, climbing tower, shelter and much more. There is also plenty of forest, thicket and lovely old crooked trees, where the children climb and make hide-outs.
Kassebølle Friskole is a “free school” based on the Grundtvig-Koldian perspective on school and life, and this means that the school does not profess to a certain ideology or a certain pedagogical principle.
The foundation, that is built up in childhood, is the foundation for every human being’s attitudes and actions throughout their lives. It is therefore one of the school’s most important tasks to confer the children with the “ability to live their lives” (livsduelighed).
Therefore, we attach particular importance to:
- Teaching takes into account the development and abilities of each child.
- The school is based on close contact between school and home and prioritizes shared experiences among students, parents and teachers highly.
- There is great openness about the school’s everyday life, and parents are always welcome to attend in the classroom.
- We have a maximum of 20 students in the classes.
- Teaching accommodates academic as well as creative and musical subjects.
- Singing, music and acting are part of the school’s everyday life.
For more information:
The school’s web page:
The school’s Facebook page: