Dette projekt tilbydes i samarbejde med organisationen GVI og nedenfor kan du læse deres beskrivelse af programmet:
Build on your advanced diving skill and gain in-depth knowledge on species identification, coral reef and fish monitoring.
The main focus of the programme is to equip you with professional survey techniques for underwater data collection on the health of the reef.
Other program focuses include the following but is not limited to:
- Monitoring the health of coral reefs through monitoring the corals and fish – Volunteers are divided into fish or coral by the onsite Science Officer
- Fish study either adult of juvenile fish. If volunteers progress quickly they may learn both.
- Coral is divided into the study of sessile organisms on the reef and coral diseases, this will be done on base once they have learned the coral species list.
Other programmes which will run throughout the year as and when they are needed to be completed:
- Coral restoration nurseries
- Turtle photo Identification and monitoring
- Sea grass monitoring and mapping
- Tourist impact assessment
- Turtle nesting (seasonal)
- Incidental sightings recording
- Lionfish population studies & eradication program
- Weekly beach cleans
- Teaching in the local schools in Akumal each week, and outreach work to assist the community and promote conservation practices.
Qualifications gained: PADI Advanced Open Water, PADI Coral Reef Research Diver Distinctive Specialty
Add ons available for those staying 8 weeks or longer: Leadership Course endorsed by Institute of Leadership Management, Biological Survey Techniques Course & Emergency First Responder
This is a real chance to learn hands on conservation techniques and provide our primary partners with accurate data which can be used to monitor the health of the marine environment and support active conservation measures in the area through CEAS publishing and policy change.
Volunteers will be Diving/Snorkeling daily, we aim to have you our in the water at least 1-2 times a day but is very much dependent on weather & project needs.